Friday, November 29, 2013

Variation on a theme: Candy Cane Blossoms

I know today is Black Friday and it's tempting to go out and get all the great deals that have been advertised. I just want to get on a soap box really fast and say how ridiculous I find it that we spend one day expressing how thankful we are for all the blessings we have in our lives and the very next day all that goes out the window. And for what? Cheap goods that no one really needs. I hope that everyone who reads this might take a step back and really evaluate what's important. I also want to put a plug in for Small Business Saturday which is tomorrow. You may not get a toaster for $3, but chances are you already have a toaster. And by shopping small you will support your community in a very big way and you will find great gifts that are unique and meaningful. Use this map to find small businesses in your community. That's all *takes step down off soap box*...

I do love this season. I love the music and the tingly feelings and the well-wishers. Oh... and the cookies. I LOVE cookies! The way cookie monster loves cookies. *nom nom nom* One of my favorite Christmas cookies is peanut-butter blossoms. They're the ones with the kiss stuck on top. (Follow the link for the recipe).


So, when I saw a picture for the most adorable "Candy Cane Blossoms" on Pinterest, I was super excited. I mean, the spell Pinterest holds over me was broken: I didn't even pin the recipe. I actually got off the couch and checked whether I had the ingredients. Keep scrolling down for the recipe.



Ingredients


  • 48 Hershey's Candy Cane Mint Candy Kisses
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened (vegan option: smart balance or other healthy margarine for baking)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg (vegan option: 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed into 2 tablespoons water)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons milk (vegan option: milk substitute of choice)
  • Red or green sugar crystals, and festive sprinkles

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Remove wrappers from candies. Beat butter, granulated sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in red sugar, green sugar or sprinkles. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookie is set. Remove from oven; cool 2 to 3 minutes. Press a candy piece into center of each cookie. Move from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.


You can also make them birthday cookies like I did for the girl I used to nanny.

Happy late Thanksgiving everyone! Let me know what your favorite cookies are in the comments below.