Friday, November 1, 2013

Hershey Bar Cake

Yesterday was my last day working for Boulder County Parks and Open Space. The seasonal position started in April and ended in October so I knew it wasn't forever going in but it is still sad to say goodbye. I loved everything about working there; my co-workers are all wonderful, caring people and my work was interesting and varied. I learned a lot about myself this summer and a lot about what kind of work I'd like to pursue in the future. They say when one door closes another one opens and behind the second door there's cake! (That transition was a little forced, sorry)


I made this cake for my mom's birthday because it's her favorite since she was a little girl. This is quite possibly the best chocolate cake recipe ever in the history of ever. Just sayin'.



Also, I lost a lot of pictures when I did an update to my phone so unfortunately the pictures of her birthday party were among those that have gone missing. :(

Ingredients:

  • 6 (1.55 ounce) Hershey's milk chocolate bars
  • 1-1/2 cups Hershey's chocolate syrup
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tsps vanilla extract 


Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside. 

In a microwave safe bowl combine the candy bars and the syrup. Microwave in increments until melted stirring occasionally. Set aside. 

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. 


Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 


Add melted chocolate, beating well. 


In another bowl, combine flour and baking soda. 



Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk to sugar mixture. Beat well after each addition. 


Add vanilla. 


Pour batter into prepared pan(s). 


Bake for 45 minutes.



Then cover with aluminum foil and cool in pan for 15 minutes. 


Turn over onto wire rack. 


Dust with powdered sugar, frost it, drizzle with icing or leave it. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.


"This cake has a hole in it."
"You fixed it!"