Friday, August 16, 2013

Birthday Peach Snickerdoodles

Right before my birthday in June my co-worker Sally asked me ever so sneakily, "If someone were to make you cookies or cupcakes what would be your favorite flavor?" I answered Snickerdoodles because I lurve cinnamon oh so very much. On my birthday, I arrived at work and this was waiting in my cubicle.

The fish is an inside joke

So, as her birthday approached in August I wanted to return the gesture. Equally sneakily, I asked, "If you had to choose your favorite cake, pie or cookie flavor what would you choose?" She said peach pie and snickerdoodle cookies. Being the genius that I am, I combined the two.

Fortunately, it is currently peach season and my dad had just brought a box of peaches home with him from the western slope. In order to use them before spoiling my mom busily made peach jam, peach salsa, peach cobbler etc. and I made peach snickerdoodles.


This recipe makes 3.5 dozen cookies, which is a lot but I gave away about half. You could probably half the recipe but it was too complicated for me to figure out.

Select four medium peaches

Peel and dice (I used a knife, but blanching or a peeler would work too)
Add 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup margarine, 2 eggs and 1 1/2 cup sugar to a food processor
Mix well, then add half of the diced peaches
Mix 4 cups flour, 2 teaspoon cream of tarter, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoon in a large mixing bowl
Add pureed peach mixture
Mix until evenly blended
Add remaining peaches
Fold peaches into batter. Batter will be very wet. Dollop spoonfuls onto greased, parchment paper-covered cookie sheets. Sprinkle with mixture of 4 teaspoon cinnamon  and 4 tablespoon sugar. Cook at 400°F for 11 minutes or until just browned on top. Cookies will be soft.
Let cool on wire racks.
Make a lovely birthday card and deliver to recipient.
Hahaha I crack myself up!

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, room temperature, cubed
  • 1/2 margarine, room temperature, spoonfuls
  • 1 1/2 cups plus 4 Tb sugar, divided use
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 3/4 cups flour, sifted
  • 2 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 fresh peaches, peeled, seeded, diced, divided use
  • 2 tsp plus 4 tsp cinnamon, divided use

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using a food processor, cream together the butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the eggs. Add half of the diced peaches and puree until smooth. In a large bowl combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Stir in the creamed ingredients from the food processor. Fold in the remaining diced peaches. In a smaller bowl combine the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar and the cinnamon. Drop a rounded tablespoon of cookie batter (the batter is very moist) onto the cookie sheets about 2″ apart. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and bake for 11 minutes.


Happy Friday!