Monday, September 24, 2012

Stop looking because these are the best brownies you will ever find...

As many of you know I am a firm believer in eating healthy. I am also a firm believer that denying yourself something is not healthy, especially when that something is chocolate. So to clarify my firm beliefs... Moderation is key. That is why everyone needs to have a good brownie recipe. I honestly think it should be included in life's handbook. 

Here's some information on chocolate (*I am not a doctor, please consult your doctor for more information on the following*):

  • Cocoa contains flavenol, a type of flavenoid and natural occurring antioxidant, which researchers suggest may protect neurons (Huffington Post, 2012)
  • The antioxidants in cocoa can also prevent aging caused by free radicals, which may lead to heart disease (Cleveland Clinic, 2012)
  • Dark chocolate may lower blood pressure and cholesterol (Longevity, 2009)
  • Dark chocolate contains theobromine, caffeine and other stimulating substances (Longevity, 2009)
  • It also contains serotonin, which acts as an anti-depressant (Longevity, 2009)
  • Dark chocolate also increases endorphin production, which increase pleasure (Longevity, 2009)
  • Surprisingly dark chocolate can prevent diabetes (Women's Health, 2012)
  • It can reduce stress (Women's Health, 2012)
  • And help protect against sun damage (Women's Health, 2012)
  • On top of all this it tastes goooooood!
Like I said, moderation is key and be sure that your grabbing a quality bar of dark chocolate, and you can receive some of these benefits and more.


So brownies... My idea of the perfect brownie is crispy crust, gooey inside, chocolate chips, not frosting, no nuts, and not too cakey or fudgey. This is it. This covers all bases for my ideal brownie. This recipe has a short ingredients list so be sure to use quality chocolate.

Add 1 1/2 cup sugar to a mixing bowl,


Pour in 3/4 cup flour,


Then add 3/4 cup cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate cocoa powder).


Crack three eggs into the bowl...


Add 3/4 cup melted butter (I have no idea why the butter looks neon in this picture)


And 1/2 teaspoon salt (I skipped this because I used salted butter). Then mix it together; don't mix too thoroughly just enough to combine the wet and dry ingredients.



Mix in chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips).


Pour the batter into a greased baking dish. That is the best looking chocolate batter I have ever seen. I'm totally drooling.


Bake at 325 for 30 minutes (sorry it's a bit blurry, I was shaking with happiness). Test with a toothpick for doneness (remember there are chocolate chips in there so your first poke might not come out clean.


Let cool on a wire rack for about 5 minutes (or as long as you can wait... I made it 2 minutes). Cut into cubes and serve with a nice cold glass of milk.


I had almond milk which was quite delicious...


Brownies: seriously the best things on the planet. These are the perfect balance between fudgey and cakey, with the signature brownie crispy crust.