Friday, September 21, 2012

Parmesan Chicken

I have been making this recipe for parmesan chicken longer than any other. In fact it was the first dinner I ever cooked on my own. I was in a Food Fun class in middle school and one of our assignments was to cook dinner for our family. We had to present pictures and the recipe in a presentation to the class. (I wish I still had the pictures from then; they're probably in a box at my parents house somewhere). It is really simple and easy to modify for variety.


Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken

I like to make an assembly line of my ingredients: 

  • Chicken (free-range, hormone free, on sale yay!), 
  • Two eggs, slightly beaten (I usually used a stick of butter, melted but I didn't have any...), 
  • Some breading mixture (The original recipe 1/4 cup parmesan and 1/2 cup italian seasoned bread crumbs. I used 1/4 cup parmesan, 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs and some paprika, black pepper, salt, italian seasoning, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder... I didn't really measure just added what I thought looked good... it was for science), and
  • A greased baking dish,
  • All lined up to next to the oven, pre-heated to 450.
Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken

I took a total of zero pictures during the following steps; if you try this recipe you will see why. My hands were quite literally caked in bread-y goodness and it would have just been a big old mess. So you will just have to use your imagination skills.


Basically you take your chicken and coat it in the eggs. Then roll it around in the bread crumb mixture and place it in the pan. Repeat for all your chickens.

Usually if there is leftover butter I will pour it over the chicken but since I used eggs I didn't do this. Butter really works much better from my experience. I also sprinkle leftover breadcrumbs over the chicken. Bake for 40 minutes.

Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken
Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken


Serve with salad, bread and your favorite beer. Yummy!

Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken

Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Parmesan Chicken

Variations:
  1. After baking 20 minutes remove from oven and pour marinara sauce over chicken and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Serve over spaghetti with more marinara sauce.
  2. Like I've said, use butter instead of eggs.
I've taken the leftover chicken for lunch in a quesadilla...

Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Lunch Ideas
chees and chicken quesadilla, carrot sticks with ranch and some seaweed ;)

And to add to this salad...

Maggie's Mind Mumbles//: Lunch Ideas
Hard-boiled egg, pile o' veggies and some chicken goodness.



How do you use your leftovers?