Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Zucchini Bread - Homemade Style

One thing I forgot to mention in Summer Lovin’ post last week is all the fresh produce from my mom’s garden. I probably forgot since I don’t live there much in the summer anymore, but my childhood is full of baby carrots covered in dirt, tomatoes that I can only describe as nature’s candy, and zucchini bread (or at least those are the things I loved the most from her garden).

I wanted to make zucchini bread but my mom warned me that many of the recipes contain a lot of oil. After a lot of research and some improvisation I think I’ve concocted perhaps the perfect recipe. You be the judge.



Start by preheating the oven and preparing an 8-inch loaf pan (I got to use my Misto!).



Grate zucchini(s); you can peel them before hand, I personally like the peel in the bread so I don’t. I used the largest grate size on my 4-sided cheese-grater. You can use the smallest side (or an attachment on your food processor)... it really depends on preference.


Mix together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.


Doesn't that just look sooooo appetizing? Whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, honey, and vanilla in a larger second bowl. The honey is from the bee hive on some land my Range Club manages just north of Fort Collins… Yay local stuff!


Add flour mixture to the larger bowl and stir until well combined.


Fold in grated zucchini.


Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean – 50 to 60 minutes.




Cool in pan on wire rack for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and continue cooling on rack.

Ingredients:
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grated zucchini

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 °F. Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate larger bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, honey and vanilla. Add the flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in zucchini, then transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean – 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes, remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack.